Smartphones or cellphones have become a basic need that cannot be separated from everyday life. This is also one of the main items to prepare when you start living in Japan. Therefore, in this article we will introduce some SIM cards that are recommended for foreigners. Not only cheap, but also easy to use.
How to Use a Mobile Phone in Japan
To start life in Japan, the first thing you have to prepare is a smartphone/mobile phone. There are three methods of making a smartphone/mobile phone contract in Japan:
- Contract with Japan’s Major Cellular Operators
In Japan, usually the communication contract (toll & internet) and the smartphone/mobile unit are made into a set. Operator or Provider is a cellular telephone communication service provider, such as NTT Docomo, au, and Softbank. All three are major cellular operator companies in Japan. If you make a contract with an operator, usually the smartphone/mobile phone you receive is locked (SIM Lock).
- The voice call quality is high and the data connection is stable because the operator has its own communication network.
- Has official stores throughout Japan, making it easier for users to get support services in case of problems.
- Provide unit compensation service.
- High monthly fees.
- There is a penalty fee if you cancel the contract outside the specified period. The contract period is generally 2 years.
- Buy a cheap SIM Card
Cheap SIM cards are provided by MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) – a mobile telecommunications service operator that provides voice and data communication services. MVNO provides low-cost services by reducing the cost of infrastructure equipment and communication network maintenance. You can also save on the cost of using your smartphone/mobile phone by choosing a package that suits your needs.
- Low monthly fees.
- Contracts are more flexible. There is no penalty if the contract cancellation is made after the minimum usage period has passed.
- There are various package options, including voice calls and SMS, as well as large data capacity.
- This type of SIM card has its own service.
- Poor voice call quality and slower data connection than mobile carriers.
- High telephone costs.
- In most cases, there is no physical store so users cannot receive services in the store.
- Buying a cheap smartphone
You can save money by making a contract that contains one smartphone unlock unit and a cheap SIM card. In fact, you can use it the same as a smartphone/mobile phone on a major cellular operator.
Please note that there are two types of smartphone devices:
FU (Factory Unlock): A smartphone that can be used with any card.
SU (Software Unlock): Can only use one card.
FU smartphone prices are more expensive than SU.
- The unit price of the smartphone itself is quite cheap.
- Similar to the advantages described on the SIM Card, low monthly fees and many pricing plans.
- Data connection may be slow or unstable (only during peak hours).
- Some app functions (LINE age verification, ID lookup, etc.) cannot be used.
As you can see, there are advantages and disadvantages to each method. Now for those of you who really choose the method to make a contract with an operator in Japan, you can buy cheap sim card packages only at Janetto.id. Here you can buy a Japanese sim card with many choices of cheap packages that you can buy. Let’s wait let alone buy the product now. CLICK HERE.